Walter Dean Myers Award for Outstanding Children’s Literature 2023
Deadline: November 15, 2022
Nominations are open for the 2023 Walter Dean Myers Awards for Outstanding Children’s Literature. The awards recognize diverse authors whose works feature diverse lead characters and address diversity in meaningful ways.
Myers was the third National Ambassador for Children’s Literature, appointed in 2012 by the Library of Congress. He was a champion of diversity in children’s books. The Walter Awards commemorate the memory and memory of Myers. its literary heritage, as well as celebrating diversity in children’s literature.
- The 2023 Walter Prizes will be awarded in two categories: teens and young readers.
- A submission must be written by a diverse author and the submission must be a diverse work. If a work has co-authors, at least one of the authors must be diverse.
- A diverse work is a work written by a diverse author featuring a diverse main character. For works without a main character, the work must address diversity in a substantial way.
- The work must be an original work first published in English in 2022 and must be readily available in the United States, either from a US publisher or a US distributor.
- The work may have originally been in another language and translated, but the earliest English publication date must be in 2022. Multilingual editions are also eligible as long as the primary language is English.
- For teenagers, the work must be determined as being intended for an audience between the ages of 13 and 18.
- For consideration of young readers, work should be determined to be intended for an audience of 9-13 years old. This category includes picture books whose format and content are deemed appropriate for this age group.
The deadline for submitting nominations for the 2023 Walter Dean Myers Awards is November 15, 2022. All submissions must be postmarked no later than November 15, 2022. Submissions postmarked after this date will not may NOT be considered.
Publishers are invited to submit eligible titles for review by the Walter Awards Judging Committee. A physical book must be provided to each committee member. Contact [email protected] receive the delivery addresses of the members of the Committee.
When publishers submit books, they must provide information about the book[s] they send. The information requested includes:
- A count of the books included in the shipment, with the publication dates for each book.
- The diversity with which the author identifies.
- The diversity of the main character or the overall diversity of the work.
Publishers must submit physical copies. Physical copies can be a finished book or an ARC. All ARCs must be followed by a final printed copy by December 31, 2022.
For more information, visit Walter Dean Myers Award.